Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Making Your Own Frames

This is essentially my first real post. Or at least the first post that actually supports the reasoning to make this silly blog to start with. Obviously its not documenting any work in progress, but it is supporting work, and as far as I'm concerned any real artist should be able to frame their own artwork.
So, this will be a relatively quick step by step procedure to make a frame for a canvas. (
Keep in mind that there is hundreds of different ways you can do this. You can simplify it even more or you can completely over complicate any project, so if you don't like my way, then go shit in a hat.


First, figure out what you want it to look like and all that before you start so you're not fumbling around wasting a bunch of wood. Then, go get some wood and rip it down to the size you prefer. I just got some pine because it's cheap as fuck, easy to use and you can get it at any weekend warrior workshop. The next part you can do a few different ways. You can essentially run a dado along the edge of the board giving you a lip to sit the canvas in. Again, you should have already figured out what the depth of the lip you want prior and adjust the dado accordingly. If you don't have a dado blade you can just give it a couple extra passes over the table saw to do the exact same thing.
Once you get the lip desired for the piece then cut to length. I'm doing a 45 but you can do a butt joint as well. I don't know if I have to say this, but I want to... measure twice, cut once, don't be an asshole.



Once you get the pieces you need cut, lay the sides out and make sure you did what you were supposed to and they all fit together well. Then glue together, clamp and wait. Once dry and strong, do any finish sanding you need done. Using pine you'll need to do a little more touch up because its such a soft wood.



From here its pretty easy. Its all aesthetics so choose a stain/paint/poly that will look the best for whatever piece the frame is intended for. For these frames I'm just going to use a stain which is super quick and easy. Pictured above is first coat, second coat and the fourth frame is actually the fourth coat. I wanted it as dark as I could get it... and yes that is a sock, they're not just for clean up.
I also add 'L' brackets to the corners for added integrity of the joint. Using a biscuit in the miter joint will strengthen up the joint if you don't want to use brackets.



From here you're pretty much done. You just need to attach a wire or something so you can mount it on the wall. I also add little rubber knobs to the corners so it doesn't mark up the wall but its completely unnecessary.



Done.
Now I just have to paint more, but I think I'd rather just make the frames.


1 comment:

  1. I want to commission your creative services for the large wall en mi casa. We should brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete